This summer I’ve taken on a gardening project to grow green beans and hot peppers in order to make my own pickled spicy beans.
Random, I know, but oh-so-delicious!
I’m not an experienced gardener. However, like anything else worthwhile, gardening skills can be acquired through reading, discussions with other enthusiasts, and a little experimentation. It’s definitely something fun to try out during this transitional phase of my life.
Gardening has proven to be yet another random source of inspiration for me as I make my way towards adulthood. Plants are living organisms that can be impacted by their environment, just as human beings. Without attention and care, our lives are a struggle. So here are some inspirational thoughts straight out of my garden:
- Negativity, be it in the form of people or thoughts, is a like a weed. It starts out harmless, but grows quickly to shade your passion and strangle your hope. Keep negativity, and weeds, in check if you hope to reach your goals.
- Plants need water and sunlight to grow – you need a balanced diet, exercise, and sleep to stay healthy. Keep yourself healthy and active so you can live your hectic life. You’re no good to anyone if you’re sick.
- The right conditions can frequently make or break your chances of success. This is true in the real world and the gardening. Have you read Malcolm Gladwell’s book ‘Outliers‘? The right set of circumstances can make all the difference – but that doesn’t mean that you can’t live a happy life. Stop comparing yourself to others and learn to relish in your successes.
- Be wary of stress. Just like plants that reproduce vegetatively (by underground budding), stress can grow under the surface and slowly suffocate everything that it touches. Keep your stress in check by actively relaxing on a regular basis.
- Learn patience. Just like a flowering plant, your work will eventually pay off. Hang in there and keep up the hard work, but don’t lose sight of the bigger picture.
However, unlike gardening…
- It’s never too early, or too late, to start realizing your dreams.
- (Personal) growth is not easily measured.